Have you had a bad experience with an accountant in the past? Did you then, to your horror, discover they were unqualified?
It happens more often than people realise.
The awful fact is that accountants do not have to be qualified to run their businesses. Just stop and think about that for a moment. You could be letting someone with no qualifications be taking care of your finances!! That’s like letting someone with no medical experience give you critical medical advice!
And just as bad, these unqualified accountants may not have professional indemnity insurance so if something goes wrong, there is nothing you can do.
It really is a frightening thought so what should you do when choosing an accountant?
The most important thing to do when choosing an accountant is to check they are qualified.
Why choose a chartered accountant
Chartered accountants must undertake continuous professional education so you can be confident their knowledge and skills are always kept up to date. This ensures the advice they give you can be relied upon.
Chartered accountants are regulated. This ensures they are continuously monitored on their conduct and performance and will be bound by a code of ethics.
Maynard Johns is a member of ICAEW which is a global professional body for chartered accountants. As members, we are bound by a code of ethics which covers the following five principles.
- Integrity – to be straightforward and honest in all professional and business relationships.
- Objectivity – not to compromise professional or business judgements because of bias, conflict of interest or undue influence of others.
- Professional Competence and Due Care – to attain and maintain professional knowledge and skill at the level required to ensure that a client or employing organisation receives competent professional service, based on current technical and professional standards and relevant legislation, and act diligently and in accordance with applicable technical and professional standards.
- Confidentiality – to respect the confidentiality of information acquired as a result of professional and business relationships.
- Professional Behaviour – to comply with relevant laws and regulations and avoid any conduct that the professional accountant knows or should know might discredit the profession.
Before being qualified as chartered, the accountant will have had to work with many different business industries and a wide range of clients to ensure they have the necessary experience.
Maynard Johns has been established since 2003 and has worked with literally thousands of clients in industries including, but not limited to:
- Tourism and hospitality
- Property development
- Retail and wholesale
- Building trades and construction
- Motor trade
- Care homes
- Professional services
- Financial advice
- Service Industries
- Buy-to-let and Furnished holiday lets
Whatever your industry, we will have someone with the necessary expertise who understands your business.
A chartered accountant must be covered by professional indemnity insurance. This gives you peace of mind that in the unlikely event something goes wrong, you will be covered and financially compensated if applicable.
The importance of choosing a chartered accountant
A chartered accountant will have the specialist experience, technical skills, qualifications, and professional indemnity insurance to give you peace of mind when they are dealing with your business finances.
An unregulated accountant puts you at greater risk of missed deadlines, incorrect reporting, and expensive mistakes due to poor advice. Yes, they may be cheaper but is it worth the risk?
If you want peace of mind with your accounting and are thinking of changing your accountant, get in touch for some friendly, no-obligation advice on 01237 472071.